Get Awesome Tips.
Get events, specials, and hot tips for design, internet, and photo magic beamed to your inbox:
What People Are Saying
I HATE having my picture taken, but… Sarah made it all very easy. I was so happy with my own image in a way that I never have been. I would highly recommend her!
–Kine, Willow Tree Wellness, Portland, OR
“I love the shipping card you made for us–[it's] exactly what I had envisioned, but couldn’t come up with myself!”
–Kelsey, Shop Adorn, Portland, OR
Sarah made my website and I have received endless positive remarks ever since. She is such an easy person to work with and very quick on the return!
–Skylor, Sprout Health, Portland, OR
“Working with Sarah is great, because I know she’s covering all my bases. She’s good at taking what’s in my brain and making it on the internets.”
–Alyson, Clair Vintage Inspired, Portland, OR
I love having content control so we can get updates out to our members quickly!”
–Amy, HOPE AACR
Let’s Get Social!
Ignite Portland 11: Become More Awesome at Roller Skating!
Hey guys! Thanks for listening during my Ignite Portland talk. I’m glad you came, and I hope you learned a few things from all of the super-cool speakers, and hopefully from me, too.
As promised, here are some handy links to videos and blogs, that’ll help you get more in-depth on the skating techniques and exercises I talked about. And, you can also download a PDF of my slide presentation from the talk, if you want to take another look what I shared!
- Here’s a video overview of different stops used by roller derby skaters: T-Stop, Plow Stop, and the “Tomahawk Stop”/Turn-around Toe Stop: How to Play Roller Derby : How to Stop in Roller Derby Skates
- For a more in-depth breakdown of Plow Stops, check out this writeup from Kamikaze Kitten: Anatomy of a Plow Stop
- Or, try this writeup from Double-Easy of the Denver Roller Dolls: Beginner’s Guide to the Plow Stop.
How do derby skaters use their toe stops for stopping?
- If you’re feeling froggy about backwards skating, here’s a short video demonstration: Demo: Turn Around Toe Stop
- Or, have Kamikaze Kitten break down the Turnaround-Toe-Stop for you: Anatomy of a Fast Derby Stop.
Work your ankles and feet
- Here are some additional exercises for stretching and strengthening your feet: 4 Moves to Build Strong, Fast Feet
- And, here are some tips with more focus on ankle strength and stretching: Exercises for Strong Ankles & Feet
- This covers squat technique in the context of weight lifting–the tips on form still apply to unweighted squats!–with a great explanation of the benefits of squats: Squat Form: How to Squat with Correct Technique
- This blog does a simple breakdown of correct squat form, and also includes a video at the end: How-To: Proper Squat Technique
- And, if squats are killing you at first, here are some squat alternatives: http://exercise.about.com/library/blsquatFAQ.htm
Transverse Abs and Psoas
- There aren’t a lot of ways to specifically target your transverse abs, but this has several great plank variations: Transverse Abdominal Exercises
- As for your psoas, here are some stretches, and an overview on how a sad psoas can lead to back pain and other issues: The Psoas: Is It Killing Your Back?
- And, here’s a closer look at the psoas crunch, and psoas stretching. It’s good for cyclists, too!: Strengthening the Psoas Muscle